Wednesday, January 07, 2015
At the start of the new year I decided to get something that I've been wanting for the best part of 30 years but had never been able to justify!

One of the local garages had a Series 3 Landrover for sale, I took a look at it and it seemed to be just what I was looking for - a runner with a full year's MOT on it that needed some work as a bit of a project. I debated with myself for a few days and then decided to bite the bullet - so, sitting on my drive now is a 35 year old Land rover 88 pickup.

She (why is it that all machinery is female - is it because males like to tinker with them, or that they take a lot of looking after?) needs a new door, the dash board tidying up, the sun roof fixing so you don't get a shower when it rains and one or two dents sorted out but none of these are big jobs as far as I can tell.

I've brought a Haynes workshop manual, a restoration manual and even a Land Rover Series 3 Owners Handbook (1979-1985 My) and have been avidly reading these for the past couple of days.

I think the first job will be the sunroof (he says looking out of the window at the rain falling from the sky), then I'll get the door and windows for the drivers side - yep, on a series 3 the door and window are separate things.

The plan is to post the various jobs on here and bore any readers silly with the work, although I might start a new blog just for the work.

One final thing, in our family we name our vehicles - for example a Nissan Navara is called Millie after it's number plate (AF05MLE) and my partners car is called Minty (yep, you've guessed it, a VW Polo). We are trying to come up with a name but are stuck on "Landy" which somehow doesn't seem right - if you had a 35 year old Land Rover with the registration OAH484W what would you call it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment